It’s all about location, location, location. Some food truck events are organized in such idyllic settings that just being there becomes half the fun. This 18th century villa was the backdrop for Street Füd Festival, where 2 dozen roaming kitchens lined the cobblestone lane fronting the elegant building. From traditional italian favorites to popular international offerings, we tried our best to check out all of the great füd (foohd).
1. Risotto with culatello, radicchio and grana chese, 5€. A basic warm-up before the serious eating begins.
2. Chicken pad thai, 8€. Spicy and delicious with the bold flavors of lime juice, nam pla and cilantro, but I expected a bit more in that container.
3. Grilled octopus sandwiches, 7€. Get all of those tentacle horror movies out of your head. This octo-panino kills it!
I wish they would update their Facebook event page to let us know where they’ll be next.
4. Lampredotto sandwich, 7€. Food for the adventurous but not the faint-of-heart. The name comes from lampreda (lamprey eels) that looks like cow stomach #4, the one used to make this classic florentine street eats. I’ve tried this on 2 occasions but nope, it’s not for me!
5. Patatas bravas, 4€. Tapas street food by Las Bravas: mojitos, calamari burgers, sangria, chorizo hot dogs, iberico ham, and the yummiest patatas bravas from a cute little blue truck.
Piping hot cubes of fried potatoes with spicy salsa brava and salsa aioli.
6. Ceviche, 7€. On the peruvian menu of Ta’ Bueno food truck. Fresh fish, tropea red onions, chocolo (the large corn kernels), cancha (toasted corn), lime, sweet potato.
7. Gran gustoso ai gamberoni, 8€. Large, tender, succulent shrimp tails, on mango mayo and topped with shredded celery root. The sandwich didn’t have the kind of flavor impact that I was hoping for, and the photo displayed on the menu looked much more enticing.
As mentioned earlier, location is half the fun, but to have hot air balloon rides just yonder from the church? Spectacular event that put everyone in a fun mood, starting with country line dancing, pole dancers (seriously), live dj music, and street füd.